Delta Air Lines, in partnership with Misapplied Sciences, will launch the first-ever PARALLEL REALITY™ beta experience for customers at Detroit Metropolitan Airport beginning June 29.
This category-defining technology, which first debuted at CES in 2020, allows up to 100 customers to simultaneously see personalized content tailored to their unique journey on a single digital screen. Customers who opt into the experience will see customized flight and wayfinding information. Each viewer will get a unique and personalized experience, even as they stand next to dozens of other viewers enjoying their own uniquely personalized experiences.
“This technology truly must be seen to be believed. We can’t wait for customers to experience the ease and convenience it can bring to their journeys, especially when paired with the wayfinding and personalization capabilities of the Fly Delta app,” said Ranjan Goswami, S.V.P. – Customer Experience. “The PARALLEL REALITY experience means customers will no longer have to search for flight and gate information – the personalized journey details the experience delivers is a powerful complement to Delta’s digital tools, the airport innovations we’ve already put in place and the unmatched service that our employees provide every day.”
Customers can find this new technology in Concourse A of the McNamara Terminal, just past the security checkpoint. Customers departing from DTW will be able to experience the mind-bending technology and share their input directly with Delta as the airline looks to understand its efficacy in the real world before potentially expanding to other airports.
HOW TO EXPERIENCE THE EXHIBIT:
- After moving through security at Detroit, customers will see the PARALLEL REALITY display near the Delta Sky Club (Concourse A, McNamara Terminal).
- To initiate the experience:
- All customers are welcome to interact with the experience. Ticketed passengers can simply scan their boarding passes.
- Customers enrolled in digital identity through the Fly Delta App can activate facial recognition at the exhibit kiosk.
- Leveraging multi-view pixels and proprietary technology, the PARALLEL REALITY experience enables each customer to see personalized, in-language messages – tailored just to them – as they walk past the digital screen.
- Tailored messages include personalized wayfinding, flight information or updates to boarding time.
- This experience will always be opt-in, and customer information is not stored.
PARALLEL REALITY technology first caught the eye of experts at The Hangar, Delta’s innovation centre. Delta saw an opportunity to leverage this groundbreaking innovation to transform the airport experience, enabling a seamless, personalized journey as customers move from curb to gate.
“The spirit of innovation is a driving force across Delta. We’re constantly searching for ways to innovate to improve the customer experience meaningfully,” said Matt Muta, V.P. – Innovation. “With the PARALLEL REALITY technology, we saw an opportunity to transform another aspect of the airport journey into seamless, personalized and wholly unexpected.”
The PARALLEL REALITY experience builds on Delta’s efforts to modernize the travel experience on the ground. In early 2021, Delta partnered with the Transportation Security Administration to introduce the first domestic curb-to-gate digital identity experience in Detroit, allowing customers to use facial recognition technology and their passport number and TSA PreCheck or Global Entry membership to move through their day of travel seamlessly. Digital identity technology has since expanded to Atlanta, and new, state-of-the-art Delta terminals at LAX and LGA now boast the technology as well.
- 137 Pillars Hotels First Anniversary of CSR Partnership with Nature Park
- W Hotels Ushers in a New Era of Luxury Lifestyle on the Greek Coast with the Opening of W Costa Navarino
- Tourism Leader Rolls Up His Sleeves To Help With Staff Shortage
- St. Regis Hotels & Resorts Unveils Champagne Sabrage Masterclasses
- Mossman Gorge Centre Celebrates 10 Years
- Big Red Group appoints Jemma Fastnedge as Chief Sustainability Officer, bringing ESG to the centre of experience economy growth
- Silversea® Strengthens Its Industry-Leading Expedition Team, Welcoming Bob Simpson As Vp Of Expedition Product Development
- Music specialist TMC Equinox Travel appoints Trevor Johnson as COO
- “Made in Vietnam”: Wink Hotels Weaves Local Travel Memories
- Muster provides invaluable work experience