The Australia Council, together with the First Nations Strategy Panel, has officially launched Purrumpa – set to be the largest national gathering of First Nations arts and culture in 50 years.
‘Purrumpa’ is a Kaurna language word meaning ‘to flourish or blossom’ and was generously gifted to us by Kaurna Elder Uncle Lewis O’Brien.
The last national gathering of this kind was held in 1973, established by the Australia Council’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Arts Board. It was a milestone moment which set out policy, encouraged excellence and the preservation of First Nations culture through creative expression.
Australia Council Executive Director for First Nations Arts and Culture Franchesca Cubillo said:
“Purrumpa is set to be a momentous occasion as we celebrate the achievements of the past five decades and reflect on what the next 50 years could look like. Purrumpa will include deep listening, as well as important conversations about First Nations peoples’ self-determination, development, and priorities for the national advocacy of First Nations arts and culture.”
Purrumpa has been generously supported by the South Australian government. South Australian Minister for Arts Andrea Michaels MP said:
“We are proud to support this important event as part of our commitment to championing First Nations arts and culture. South Australia is home to a rich arts and culture sector, and we are thrilled that our state will play host to Purrumpa this October.”
Australia Council CEO Adrian Collette AM said:
“The Australia Council has a long-standing commitment to supporting, advancing and elevating First Nations arts and culture, guided by First Nations led decision making and advice. Purrumpa will be a momentous occasion for the continued ‘blossoming’ of the First Nations arts and cultural sector.”
Purrumpa will be held over five days on Kaurna Yerta at the Adelaide Convention Centre from 31 October to 4 November 2022.
- 137 Pillars Hotels First Anniversary of CSR Partnership with Nature Park
- W Hotels Ushers in a New Era of Luxury Lifestyle on the Greek Coast with the Opening of W Costa Navarino
- Tourism Leader Rolls Up His Sleeves To Help With Staff Shortage
- St. Regis Hotels & Resorts Unveils Champagne Sabrage Masterclasses
- Mossman Gorge Centre Celebrates 10 Years
- Big Red Group appoints Jemma Fastnedge as Chief Sustainability Officer, bringing ESG to the centre of experience economy growth
- Silversea® Strengthens Its Industry-Leading Expedition Team, Welcoming Bob Simpson As Vp Of Expedition Product Development
- Music specialist TMC Equinox Travel appoints Trevor Johnson as COO
- “Made in Vietnam”: Wink Hotels Weaves Local Travel Memories
- Muster provides invaluable work experience