Kyle Barton, Golf Course Superintendent at Tam O’Shanter Country Club in West Bloomfield, Michigan, has been named a Grassroots Ambassador Leadership (GAL) Award winner from the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA).
The Grassroots Ambassador Leadership Award, presented quarterly in partnership with The Toro Company, recognises and honours individuals who have demonstrated growth in advocacy and advancement of the GCSAA Priority Issues Agenda through congressional outreach and relationship development with a member of Congress.
Through Toro, the winners will receive a trip to take part in the 2020 National Golf Day in Washington, DC.
“Congratulations to Kyle for being recognised for his hard work and dedication to the golf industry,” GCSAA CEO Rhett Evans said. “He is a proactive and vocal advocate for golf in Michigan, and he’s also mentoring others to speak up for the industry.”
The GAL Award is part of the GCSAA Grassroots Ambassadors, a programme that matches superintendents with members of Congress to build strong relationships between them. More than 380 GCSAA members currently serve as ambassadors.
While becoming an ambassador provided the 12-year GCSAA member the chance to become more involved on the national level, he has also become very active in his local chapter, the Michigan GCSA. He currently serves as Chairman of the Michigan GCSA Government Relations Committee and was part of the committee that created the best management practices guide for golf courses in the State.
Barton is paired with Senator Debbie Stabenow and has had the opportunity to meet with Jeremy Mahrle, Detroit Regional Director for the Senator. That meeting, along with a subsequent visit from Mahrle at Barton’s course, have given them the opportunity to discuss key issues affecting the golf industry such as labour, environmental conditions and water management.
“It feels good to open someone’s eyes to the job we do each and every day to take care of the environment while also providing great course conditions for our members,” Barton said.
Building on his own success as an ambassador, Barton has helped recruit seven other ambassadors and now serves as the Grassroots Ambassador Mentor for Michigan.
- 137 Pillars Hotels First Anniversary of CSR Partnership with Nature Park
- W Hotels Ushers in a New Era of Luxury Lifestyle on the Greek Coast with the Opening of W Costa Navarino
- Tourism Leader Rolls Up His Sleeves To Help With Staff Shortage
- St. Regis Hotels & Resorts Unveils Champagne Sabrage Masterclasses
- Mossman Gorge Centre Celebrates 10 Years
- Big Red Group appoints Jemma Fastnedge as Chief Sustainability Officer, bringing ESG to the centre of experience economy growth
- Silversea® Strengthens Its Industry-Leading Expedition Team, Welcoming Bob Simpson As Vp Of Expedition Product Development
- Music specialist TMC Equinox Travel appoints Trevor Johnson as COO
- “Made in Vietnam”: Wink Hotels Weaves Local Travel Memories
- Muster provides invaluable work experience