In a renewed hope for revival, Governor Josh Green, M.D. has announced the re-opening of several West Maui communities, effective Sunday, October 8th. These communities, namely Kā‘anapali, Nāpili, Honokōwai, and Kapalua, are witnessing a revival after facing the wrath of the devastating wildfires on August 8 that ravaged Lahaina.
While Lahaina remains closed, the focus now is on West Maui, a hotspot for tourism. Domestic and international travellers are being actively urged to consider the island for their upcoming travel plans. Doing so will bolster the economy of these communities by supporting various local enterprises ranging from quaint cafes and restaurants to boutique retail stores, major attractions, and comfortable accommodations.
Statistics from the Hawai‘i Tourism Authority show a substantial dip in tourism after the August wildfires. However, in light of Governor Green’s announcement, there’s anticipation for a surge. “The opening of West Maui signifies more than just business. It’s about rekindling hope for the countless families and businesses that bore the brunt of this disaster,” Governor Green stated.
Daniel Nāho‘opi‘i, the Chief Administrative Officer of the Hawai‘i Tourism Authority, reminiscing on the Lahaina tragedy, said, “Our collective memory will forever be etched with the pain our communities in Lahaina faced. Yet, the unity shown by Hawai‘i residents and global citizens to aid Maui’s recovery journey is nothing short of commendable.”
For those considering a trip to Hawai‘i, all prior restrictions travelling to West Maui, especially areas north of Lahaina, will be officially lifted from October 8. This gesture aims at reigniting the island’s tourism sector, a significant economic driver, which has suffered dramatically due to the calamities.
To ensure you’re updated with accurate travel advisories and other relevant information, prospective visitors should browse the official Hawai‘i travel portal at gohawaii.com.
Written by: Anne Keam
- Ascott Opens Japan’s First Lyf Coliving Property In The Vibrant Fukuoka City
- Vegan on Vacation
- Read What’s Happening Inside Australian Travel Industry!
- oneworld is millennials’ favourite airline alliance again
- Henrietta: Australia’s Hottest Chick Now Open in Melbourne!
- Luxury Trio: A by Adina, Quincy, Darling Harbour
- Australia’s marine environment needs more funding after decade of neglect
- Unveil Nature’s Gems at Reflections Holiday Parks’ Wildlife Wonders!
- Sojern Data Shows Desktop Travel Search Remains Dominate
- Coralie Bell takes top job at Australian Regional Tourism