This month on ‘Culinary Journeys’, CNN profiles one of Japan’s most exciting chefs, Natsuko Shoji. Crowned Asia’s Best Female Chef earlier this year at the annual gathering of the 50 Best Restaurants in Asia, she is the owner of Été – a pastry shop and restaurant in Tokyo which combines modern French cooking with fresh and seasonal Japanese ingredients. This special 30-minute episode explores the elements – both in and outside the kitchen – that made Shoji the star she is today, and learns how she plans to navigate the future as a new generation of Japanese chef.
There’s no doubt that Shoji’s journey to the top has been challenging. She was helped along the way by her mentors, one of whom is Shohei Shimono, chef and owner of the French restaurant à nu. Shimono reflects on first meeting Shoji when she was just a high school student, and on her early years as his trainee. CNN then charts Shoji’s steady rise in the culinary world – and the setbacks she faced along the way – culminating in her opening her own pastry shop in 2014. ‘Culinary Journeys’ also hears from Shoji’s mother – one of her biggest champions.
Being a female chef in Japan’s male dominated culinary world isn’t easy. It’s even tougher for female sushi chefs to break through – something Fumie Miyoshi knows all too well. Despite the odds, Miyoshi has become one of the most recognized sushi chefs in the upscale Ginza neighborhood of Tokyo. The programme brings Shoji and Miyoshi together, and the two bond over shared experiences in the industry.
Finally, CNN hears from one of Shoji’s role models: chef Vicky Lau, who currently serves as the head chef of the two Michelin star restaurant Tate Dining Room in Hong Kong. The pair catch up to discuss their past collaborations and future career visions. For Shoji, that includes creating more awareness around what it takes to excel in the food industry, and visiting her old high school to help guide a new generation of aspiring chefs.
Culinary Journeys trailer: https://bit.ly/3MulcJz
Culinary Journeys images: https://bit.ly/3Q1KqSP
Culinary Journeys microsite: https://cnn.it/3Gh6WCA
Airtimes for 30-minute special:
Sunday, 12th June at 9:30am, 12:30pm and 6:00pm HKT
Monday, 13th June at 5:30am HKT
- 137 Pillars Hotels First Anniversary of CSR Partnership with Nature Park
- W Hotels Ushers in a New Era of Luxury Lifestyle on the Greek Coast with the Opening of W Costa Navarino
- Tourism Leader Rolls Up His Sleeves To Help With Staff Shortage
- St. Regis Hotels & Resorts Unveils Champagne Sabrage Masterclasses
- Mossman Gorge Centre Celebrates 10 Years
- Big Red Group appoints Jemma Fastnedge as Chief Sustainability Officer, bringing ESG to the centre of experience economy growth
- Silversea® Strengthens Its Industry-Leading Expedition Team, Welcoming Bob Simpson As Vp Of Expedition Product Development
- Music specialist TMC Equinox Travel appoints Trevor Johnson as COO
- “Made in Vietnam”: Wink Hotels Weaves Local Travel Memories
- Muster provides invaluable work experience