The Dorchester announces the appointment of Michael Kwan as executive pastry chef. Bringing over 14 years’ experience in pastry with him, Michael will lead the 25-strong brigade of chefs and bakers responsible for creating the afternoon tea within The Promenade, as well as perfecting pastries and desserts for weddings, parties and events throughout the hotel.
Joining The Dorchester from Hotel Café Royal, Michael previously held head pastry chef positions at Ladurée and Duddells, and positions within the pastry brigades of Michelin starred restaurants; The Fat Duck and Hakkasan. Prior to living and working in London, Michael was based in his hometown of Hong Kong where he began honing his culinary craft from the age of 15. Demonstrating expertise across all disciplines, including pastry, bakery, sugar work and chocolate, Michael is renowned for his highly detailed and ingenious creations.
Michael joins the team at The Dorchester at an incredibly exciting time as the famous hotel has recently embarked on a significant renovation, the first phase of which will be revealed in September 2022.
Speaking about Michael’s appointment, executive chef of The Dorchester Mario Perera, said: “I am so excited to be welcoming Michael to The Dorchester team. He is a true genius in the kitchen, with the unique ability to combine mastery of technique with astonishing creativity. I’m looking forward to Michael revealing his creations and to him taking our pastry offering to the next level for our guests.”
“I am honoured to be joining one of the world’s most famous hotels, especially at this momentous time in its 90-year history” commented Michael. “My focus will be to elevate the afternoon tea offering to ensure we continuously surprise and delight our guests who should always be introduced to the exceptional things in life.”
Michael has received numerous accolades throughout his career including being named as UK Sugar Champion 2019. He has represented the UK for the Coup du Monde de la Patisserie in Lyon, France, since 2019, and in 2021 the team finished fourth in the competition, the highest the UK pastry team has ever placed. In 2022 the UK team placed first in the European Pastry Cup and Michael will therefore be in the final of Coup du Monde de la Patisserie 2023.
- Online Slot Machine Strategies – How to Beat them
- The best smartphone games to play while on vacation
- Work and play: how to safely work on your vacation
- World of Hyatt Bonus Journeys is Back with Two Ways to Earn
- Jetstar and Indigo partnership goes live
- American Airlines Announces Agreement to Purchase Boom Supersonic Overture Aircraft, Places Deposit on 20 Overtures
- New series reveals Sydney has all the ingredients for the ultimate holiday
- Centara appoints experienced Centara hotel manager for the group’s first address in Bangkok’s historic district
- ‘Cowra’s Canola Tours and Blooming Attractions’
- Da Vittorio Launch at Reverie Saigon Redefines Italian Fine Dining in Vietnam