The countdown to the 2022 Barramundi Season is finally over with keen anglers across the country set to wet a line with the opening of barra season today.
Located in the heart of Central Queensland, Rockhampton’s Fitzroy River (Tunuba) is famous for Barramundi, pronounced “bardda moon di” by the Darumbal people, defining the catchment as the genuine Home of the Barramundi in Australia.
Starting at midday on 1 February each year, Barramundi Season stretches right through till midday on 1 November and allows visitors to target barramundi and take home their catch.
This strong focus on sustainable fishing has helped make Rockhampton’s barra fishery the envy across Northern Australia with fishing related tourism netting more tourists year on year, so it comes as no surprise that anglers have Fishing The Fitzroy on their 2022 bucket list.
If you ask the locals, you could bag a trophy barra from your hotel balcony but with an extensive river, large delta, interconnecting creeks, vast flood plains, billabongs and lagoons, there’s plenty of locations to choose from for your fishing adventure.
No boat? No worries! Rockhampton is has a number of fully catered fishing charters and dry boat hire options available to get you on the water chasing tropy barra in no time. Feeling more adventurous? Book a heli-fishing tour and cook your catch on top of a mountain overlooking the river.
For more inspiration, read our ‘Anglers Guide to Rockhampton’s Barra Season’ blog: www.explorerockhampton.com.au/Anglers-Guide-to-Rockhamptons-Barra-Season
Read the full barra season media release here: https://www.advancerockhampton.com.au/Contact-Us/News-articles/New-Year-new-barra-challenge
Download our barra season media kit here: https://www.advancerockhampton.com.au/Industries/Tourism-Events/Resources/Barra-Season-Media-Kit
- 137 Pillars Hotels First Anniversary of CSR Partnership with Nature Park
- W Hotels Ushers in a New Era of Luxury Lifestyle on the Greek Coast with the Opening of W Costa Navarino
- Tourism Leader Rolls Up His Sleeves To Help With Staff Shortage
- St. Regis Hotels & Resorts Unveils Champagne Sabrage Masterclasses
- Mossman Gorge Centre Celebrates 10 Years
- Big Red Group appoints Jemma Fastnedge as Chief Sustainability Officer, bringing ESG to the centre of experience economy growth
- Silversea® Strengthens Its Industry-Leading Expedition Team, Welcoming Bob Simpson As Vp Of Expedition Product Development
- Music specialist TMC Equinox Travel appoints Trevor Johnson as COO
- “Made in Vietnam”: Wink Hotels Weaves Local Travel Memories
- Muster provides invaluable work experience