17th March 2023 – Seat 12 D Economy on MH0122, just rear of the two rows of premium economy. It is an aisle seat in a 2-4-2 configuration at the bulkhead with excellent legroom, and I was fortunate not to have anyone in the next seat, although the flight was nearly full.
Orderly boarding in zones from the rear of the A330-300 with pushback right on time.
The airline is renowned for its innovative and interesting safety messages that are sometimes inspired and performed by members of the Malaysian performing arts. Following a ten-minute taxi to the runway, we were away. Flying time 8 hours 15 min.
Shortly after levelling, we were offered a small packet of salted peanuts, followed minutes later by the offer of a beer already poured into a plastic cup (soft drinks were also available).
The main meal was a choice of beef curry with naan bread or sautéed fish; both dishes with the usual accompaniments of a salad with balsamic vinaigrette, Bega cheese and crackers, a warm bread roll plus a square of cheesecake accompanied by two French wines – Denis Marchais 2021 Cabernet Sauvignon or the 2022 Chardonnay. Michael, the purser, says these wines have been very recently included on the alcohol list for this route. A mixture of spirits and beer is also available.
The all-masked cabin crew worked feverishly in the early part of the flight setting up the meals and drinks. Most knew each other as they regularly flew the SYD-KUL route. The airline has 18-A330-300 aircraft, each seating 290 passengers. The airline averages 285 daily flights to 63 global destinations from Kuala Lumpur and Kota Kinabalu hubs.
The loyalty program has been established for 35 years, and anyone can join the Enrich program at enrich.malaysiaairlines.com
The airline received Asia’s leading airline for the business class award in 2022 and the best seat comfort in Eastern Asia last year.
In March, the airline conducted an all-women flight from KL to Kuching in conjunction with International Women’s Day. Women staffed all the duties from check-in to refuelling and onboard the flight to the cabin crew, pilot and second officer.
Malaysia Aviation Group (MAG) has this month announced a milestone partnership with Norway-based climate tech company CHOOOSE.
Under the new strategic partnership, CHOOOSE will develop software allowing Malaysia Airlines customers to see their direct C02 impact when booking their flights and provide them with the option to support verified carbon offset projects.
The partnership is a significant step forward in the Group’s commitment to reaching net-zero carbon emissions by 2050. The Group remains on track to meet the goals and objectives in the MAG Sustainability Blueprint launched in 2021.
After a 75 min stopover in KL, the final destination is Kuching, the capital of Sarawak, the largest state of Malaysia and located on the island of Borneo. Kuching is the commercial centre of the state. Sarawak is famous for its food, friendly population and beautiful rainforests. There is also a mixed culture of 31 ethnic groups speaking 45 dialects and living harmoniously.
A closing cabin crew tribute on finals for landing: “Thank you for flying Malaysia Airlines” with a hand over the heart.
Comment: The attentive cabin crew made this very smooth flight even better.
Flights to KL depart daily from Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Adelaide, and Auckland.
Written by: John Savage.
- A Balinese Resort Launches Extended Stays Away From The Crowds
- Tourism Australia Releases a Series of Zoom Backdrops So You Can Pretend You Are Sunning Yourself Down Under on Your Next Conference Call
- Oakwood Continues Meteoric Growth in 2022 with Landmark Opening in Japan and Expansion Plans in Bangladesh and China
- 9 hacks to earn 20,000 frequent flyer points before Christmas – without a credit card
- Tennessee Tourism Presents Civil Rights Trail Podcast
- Start the Year of the Tiger with Roaring Treats at Grand Copthorne Waterfront
- Expo 2020 drove Dubai hotel occupancy above 90% for the first time since 2007
- Private MSC Cruises Facebook page for agents
- Air China Limited Announces 2018 Interim Results, Persists in Leading Profit Level
- Bangkok Airways Launches the “Flash Sale 3.3” Promotion Offering amazing fares, starting from just 890 Baht per trip*