I am excited but reflective as I walk along the banks of the Zambezi, exhausted by a day working on elephant relocations. I also wondered about all that we do. About how so much of the success or failure of conservation hangs on the integrity of a handful of the most dedicated people in the world. Those front-line conservationists, those rangers we support via project Ranger, and many others across the continent.
They show up day and, often on night patrols, fighting to maintain the values and value of nature and its wildlife. They put out fires and, like today, freeze as they get up at 4 am and drive out on open vehicles on patrol. There is an arms race between poachers and rangers, those who want to use and abuse nature and those who will do anything to preserve its integrity.
I have met many in my life and can say I’ve never met one I don’t like and admire. So as World Ranger Day approaches on July 31st, we want to announce that while Project Ranger was designed to be a pandemic relief effort, the rangers we have funded have opened our eyes to a few truths. They are probably the most disproportionately underfunded people on earth, and the need to continue funding extends beyond the end of the pandemic.
We want to assist and elevate our dedication to them so that we will continue our Project Ranger efforts.
Thank you, Rangers.
Written by: Dereck Joubert
- Scenic Sailing in Sardinia
- Save on an adventure to Kinchega National Park
- Immerse Yourself in One Million Blooms at Floriade – Australia’s Biggest Celebration of Spring
- D-EDGE appoints Emilie Couton as new APAC Managing Director
- Four Seasons Hotel Kuala Lumpur Welcomes New General Manager Blaise Montandon
- TAA (Vic) bolsters advisory committee in lead up to intended merger
- TravelManagers’ ‘Peace of Mind’ Attracts High Calibre New Recruits
- IAPCO launches its new Job Board, bringing together recruiters and job-seeking meeting professionals from the global meetings industry.
- K-Beauty Brand LAPCOS Just Dropped Three New Products
- Continued Investment In Tech Infrastructure Reaffirms Commitment To Innovation