A spokesman for Wellington Airport told Radio New Zealand (RNZ) the alarm was triggered by a toaster in the Koru business class lounge in the international terminal around 5.45 am Friday morning.
The result caused two flights to be delayed by 45 minutes as about 300 people were evacuated from the terminal.
News site Stuff.co.nz quoted one of its reporters who was about to board a flight from Wellington to Brisbane when he saw smoke in the Koru Lounge.
He confirmed there was a strong smell of toast burning. Then two fire engines turned up and two planeloads of travellers were evacuated onto the tarmac.
No fire was found – just burnt toast.
Written by Peter Needham in Wellington
- Scenic Sailing in Sardinia
- Save on an adventure to Kinchega National Park
- Immerse Yourself in One Million Blooms at Floriade – Australia’s Biggest Celebration of Spring
- D-EDGE appoints Emilie Couton as new APAC Managing Director
- Four Seasons Hotel Kuala Lumpur Welcomes New General Manager Blaise Montandon
- TAA (Vic) bolsters advisory committee in lead up to intended merger
- TravelManagers’ ‘Peace of Mind’ Attracts High Calibre New Recruits
- IAPCO launches its new Job Board, bringing together recruiters and job-seeking meeting professionals from the global meetings industry.
- K-Beauty Brand LAPCOS Just Dropped Three New Products
- Continued Investment In Tech Infrastructure Reaffirms Commitment To Innovation