Tourism Solomons is once again leading the tributes for another of the country’s acknowledged tourism pioneers, Solomon Airlines’ manager – commercial, Colin Sigimanu who passed away suddenly on 21 February.
A larger than life character, Mr Sigimanu was extremely well respected across the South Pacific aviation and tourism sectors and is acknowledged as having played a key role in helping to increase the airline’s regional and domestic network in his more than 30 years rising through the management ranks.
This includes helping to build additional and new services on the airline’s key Honiara – Brisbane, Honiara – Nadi, Honiara – Port Vila and Honiara – Tarawa (Kiribati) routes.
He is also recognized for his input into the country’s tourism sector where he was actively involved in many projects, most recently the Solomon Airlines Peace Marathon, and the highly successful ‘Iumi Tugeda’ domestic holiday initiative which has been instrumental in keeping many local hotels, resorts and operators open for business during the country’s near two-year lockdown.
Mr Sigimanu also enjoyed a very close connection with the late Josefa ‘Jo’ Tuamoto and the Tourism Solomons team where he was treated like family.
Paying tribute to Mr Sigimanu on behalf of the Tourism Solomons board of directors, Tourism Solomons head of sales and marketing, Fiona Teama said the airline, and for that matter, the entire Solomon Islands tourism community, has lost a true champion.
“Colin was an extremely proud Solomon Islander who brought his culture to the fore in everything he did,” she said.
“His role at Solomon Airlines and his close cooperation with the Tourism Solomons team was pivotal in the Solomon Islands achieving great strides in both the regional aviation arena and on the international tourism stage.
“The Solomon Islands tourism industry honours his memory as someone who set an amazing example and left an incredible legacy both for our industry and generations of aspirational young Solomon islanders to come.”
- Scenic Sailing in Sardinia
- Save on an adventure to Kinchega National Park
- Immerse Yourself in One Million Blooms at Floriade – Australia’s Biggest Celebration of Spring
- D-EDGE appoints Emilie Couton as new APAC Managing Director
- Four Seasons Hotel Kuala Lumpur Welcomes New General Manager Blaise Montandon
- TAA (Vic) bolsters advisory committee in lead up to intended merger
- TravelManagers’ ‘Peace of Mind’ Attracts High Calibre New Recruits
- IAPCO launches its new Job Board, bringing together recruiters and job-seeking meeting professionals from the global meetings industry.
- K-Beauty Brand LAPCOS Just Dropped Three New Products
- Continued Investment In Tech Infrastructure Reaffirms Commitment To Innovation