Today is International Day of the Seal and SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast Aquarium is celebrating by unveiling the latest upgrades to Seal Island, which are already proving to be a hit with its residents!
Seal Island is home to six seals, including Australian sea lions April and Teiko who enjoyed a special enrichment activity of coloured ice blocks and fish to celebrate their first visit to the husbandry exhibit since it underwent a refurbishment.
The upgrades to the seal’s second exhibit – where the team provide the mammals with an enriching environment for exercise, training sessions and socialising – include a new roof, new theming and larger windows to provide increased stimulation for the seals and a new vantage point for guests to marvel at the beautiful creatures. A new Seal Photo opportunity for guests will also be available in the near future!
According to SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast’s Mammals Manager, Carla Haskell, the team is looking forward to utilising the husbandry exhibit to assist in future breeding programs.
“Our plan for the future is to implement a breeding program for the endemic Australian sea lions, which are currently listed as endangered on the IUCN Red List. April and Teiko are both female Australian sea lions here at SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast and our aim is to provide them with male counterparts to produce a sustainable future population for generations to come,” said Carla.
A breeding program would help boost populations of Australian sea lions, which are currently under threat from habitat destruction, pollution, bycatch and more.
SEA LIFE Sunshine Coast is currently open Thursday – Monday from 9am – 3pm (last entry 2pm). The attraction is open seven days per week during the Queensland school holidays. All visitors must pre-book their tickets online in advance. Visit www.visitsealife.com/sunshine-coast for updates, tickets, opening hours and health and safety information.
- Scenic Sailing in Sardinia
- Save on an adventure to Kinchega National Park
- Immerse Yourself in One Million Blooms at Floriade – Australia’s Biggest Celebration of Spring
- D-EDGE appoints Emilie Couton as new APAC Managing Director
- Four Seasons Hotel Kuala Lumpur Welcomes New General Manager Blaise Montandon
- TAA (Vic) bolsters advisory committee in lead up to intended merger
- TravelManagers’ ‘Peace of Mind’ Attracts High Calibre New Recruits
- IAPCO launches its new Job Board, bringing together recruiters and job-seeking meeting professionals from the global meetings industry.
- K-Beauty Brand LAPCOS Just Dropped Three New Products
- Continued Investment In Tech Infrastructure Reaffirms Commitment To Innovation