P&O Australia has announced that the P&O Pacific Partnership, which is funded by the generous donations from the cruise line’s guests, has thrown its support behind the fundraising campaign to repair the corridor roof adjoining Vila Central Hospital’s maternity unit and children’s ward.The Partnership has committed AUD$21,000 (VT1.9 million) to the ‘Giving Hands Vanuatu’ fundraising campaign initiated by Carissa Jacobe, managing director of maritime manning agency South Sea Services.
This donation represents a significant portion of the overall cost of fixing leaks in the corridor roof, which has contributed to flooding of the walkway in recent years.
Sture Myrmell, President of P&O Cruises Australia, praised Ms Jacobe for her community leadership in developing the fundraising effort, saying it was also heartwarming to see that Ni Vanuatu people living abroad were among the people who have contributed to the project, adding, “Our ships cannot visit Vanuatu at the moment due to the covid situation but the people of Vanuatu are
always very close to the hearts of our guests,” and “The P&O Pacific Partnership donation to the ‘Giving Hands Vanuatu’ fundraising campaign gives our guests another opportunity to show how much they care for the people who make them feel so welcome when they cruise to Vanuatu’s beautiful islands.”
He also said, “I know that our guests would take the view that newborns deserve the best possible start in life and it is good to know that the corridor roof can be repaired for the benefit of the mothers and babies and their visitors.”
Ms Jacobe thanked the P&O Pacific Partnership and the cruise line’s guests for the welcome donation for the hospital project, saying ‘Giving Hands Vanuatu’ would be assisting with other local needs as they become known, and “We have begun other projects at Vila Central Hospital such as water blasting corridor walkways, fixing sinks, cleaning the ward bathrooms and handwashing stations, replacing windows and louvers in the wards and we have had a team of plumbers repairing the plumbing”.
The P&O Pacific Partnership is funded from a one dollar contribution on each guest booking with a number of projects supported in Vanuatu in recent years.
A report by John Alwyn-Jones
- Online Slot Machine Strategies – How to Beat them
- The best smartphone games to play while on vacation
- Work and play: how to safely work on your vacation
- World of Hyatt Bonus Journeys is Back with Two Ways to Earn
- Jetstar and Indigo partnership goes live
- American Airlines Announces Agreement to Purchase Boom Supersonic Overture Aircraft, Places Deposit on 20 Overtures
- New series reveals Sydney has all the ingredients for the ultimate holiday
- Centara appoints experienced Centara hotel manager for the group’s first address in Bangkok’s historic district
- ‘Cowra’s Canola Tours and Blooming Attractions’
- Da Vittorio Launch at Reverie Saigon Redefines Italian Fine Dining in Vietnam