Forty 10 to 12 year-old-students at a primary school in Phuket enjoyed an English language day camp 16 August, thanks to a charitable effort by Outrigger Hospitality Group’s “Share 4 Change” volunteers, with assistance from the Laguna Phuket corporate social responsibility team.
The camp at the Baan Khok Wat Mai School in Thalang district was led by an English instructor and supported by Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort and Laguna Phuket hosts. The message was that learning English is fun and a useful life skill.
“It is a very encouraging, collaborative effort between Outrigger’s ‘Share 4 Change’ team, Laguna Phuket and other hotels,” said Tony Pedroni, General Manager of Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort. “We will continue to work closely with Principal Jirawan, the teachers and neighbouring hotels to enhance the prospects of the pupils any way we can,” he added.
The English learning day camp was made possible by funds raised at a Phuket area badminton competition on 13 July attended by 16 hotels.
The English Day Camp was the latest initiative in Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort’s four-year supporting relationship with the school. In that time contributions have improved the classrooms, restrooms, canteen and enhanced fencing around the school, which has seen the number of students double from 80 to 177, following years of previous decline.
Academic achievement has also improved. The school has risen to seventh place for sixth-grade O-net scores in math, science as well as Thai and English language, among 14 Phuket schools.
The school also earned a 2019 Certificate of Excellence from the Phuket Primary Education Service Area for supporting 14 children with special needs. The Ministry of Public Health has awarded the school for its hygiene and environmental health efforts.
Principal, Ms Jirawan Choochan, said prospects at the school are on the up. She noted that teachers are more regularly joining training organised by the Ministry of Education. There are more activities such as sports days and a National Science Day in school. An efficient school library has been set up to encourage the joys and benefits of reading.
The Laguna Phuket Mobile Learning Centre also visits the school and carries out assisted reading activities to help the pupils.
- Travel More, Pay Less: Free Days with Swiss Travel Pass
- Scone Bar At NUO Hotel Beijing’s Lobby Lounge
- Drowning travel agents need urgent lifeline as COVID crisis takes toll
- Strong partners: AIDA Cruises remains main sponsor of the classical music festival “Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern” until 2024
- Travel Plans Can change… Enjoy More Flexibility
- AC Hotel by Marriott® Melbourne Southbank and Patient Wolf Distilling Co. mix the perfectly precise blend
- NSW Government leadership on Travel T&Cs welcome
- Carnival Cruise Line Announces That Costa Luminosa Will Transfer to the Carnival Fleet and Start Service in November 2022
- Azamara® Reveals 2022 European Voyages for its New Ship, Azamara OnwardSM
- Explore ‘Ancient Lands’ at Newly Opened Ngilgi Cave!