A luxurious and very beautiful six-bedroom boutique hotel, Plaza 18, tipped to be one of the finest in Andalucia, opened last month (August 2019) in the medieval quarter of Spain’s gastronomic hill-top town of Vejer de la Frontera (Vejer). Set in a former 19th Century merchant’s house, the launch follows a two-year period of restoration by award-winning interior architect and designer Nicky Dobree.
The spirit of the building has been exquisitely preserved. Its original black and white floor tiles were lifted and re-laid on newly levelled floors. The Montera (large glazed roof lantern) was carefully dismantled and repaired to its former glory so that the entrance foyer is flooded with light. And the wonderful central stone staircase and balustrade were painstakingly restored. (Ed: click here to see low res gallery). Residents can relax in the shady central courtyard, in the large double-fronted sitting room with its imposing fireplace and a well-stocked drinks trolley, or on the sun terrace where breakfast is served.
Plaza 18 is a collaboration with Vejer’s principal hotel, the neighbouring La Casa del Califa. Guests staying at Plaza 18 have use of the Califa’s many facilities including El Jardín del Califa, one of Andalucía’s landmark restaurants. Access is through a discreet back door direct from Plaza 18.
Situated on the edge of the ‘Sherry Triangle’, Vejer has a strong gastronomic scene with a flourishing range of excellent restaurants and tapas bars in which to while away the time. Just 10kms away is the Atlantic coast and the glorious beaches of El Palmar and Cape Trafalgar.
Price: A double room at Plaza 18 (HotelPlaza18.com) including an extensive breakfast costs from €160 – €270 in low season. The nearest airport is Jerez, 54km / 45 mins, motorway all the way.
- Scenic Sailing in Sardinia
- Save on an adventure to Kinchega National Park
- Immerse Yourself in One Million Blooms at Floriade – Australia’s Biggest Celebration of Spring
- D-EDGE appoints Emilie Couton as new APAC Managing Director
- Four Seasons Hotel Kuala Lumpur Welcomes New General Manager Blaise Montandon
- TAA (Vic) bolsters advisory committee in lead up to intended merger
- TravelManagers’ ‘Peace of Mind’ Attracts High Calibre New Recruits
- IAPCO launches its new Job Board, bringing together recruiters and job-seeking meeting professionals from the global meetings industry.
- K-Beauty Brand LAPCOS Just Dropped Three New Products
- Continued Investment In Tech Infrastructure Reaffirms Commitment To Innovation