Experts reveal how to increase your chances of being upgraded on a flight. 1. Check in early:- When heading to the airport, most people simply try to arrive with enough time to check-in bags, clear security and relax before taking off. However, many people don’t realize the time you check in can influence your chances of an upgrade. If you want to improve your chances of a free first-class seat, try checking in either very early or last minute. If you arrive several hours early for your flight, you’re most likely to beat off any competition for first-class or business tickets and avoid missing out on someone who got there before you. Chances are if the economy cabin has been overbooked, airlines will want to rectify this sooner rather than later to avoid causing delays.
2. Be flexible:- Ensuring you’re a helpful and flexible customer can often lead to rewards. It’s not uncommon for some airlines to overbook flights leading to them needing to bump passengers to another flight. If the airline is looking for volunteers to take a later flight, take the opportunity as it could lead to a free upgrade for your troubles. If a first-class ticket isn’t offered and you have been bumped voluntarily or not, it’s always worth asking if they can upgrade your ticket due to the inconvenience. Another common occurrence on flights is being asked to move to a new seat by the cabin crew. While this can be inconvenient if you’re flexible it could be to your advantage. Say yes to being moved and you could land yourself with a first-class seat if not, again it’s always worth asking for an upgrade for your troubles.
3. Fly solo:- Due to the premium price of first-class seats, you have much better chances of getting an upgrade if you’re flying alone. It’s unlikely airlines will want to lose out on money to upgrade a large group, so are more likely to offer a free first-class ticket to individuals. Alongside this, seating in first-class is often limited, meaning there is less chance of a group of seats becoming available.4.Pick your flight time wisely There are certain conditions where first-class seats are less likely to be fully booked up. For example, if the economy class is overbooked you’re much more likely to be offered a free upgrade. Consider occasions, when this might be the case, for example, flying during peak times for families such as school holidays most families won’t shell out to sit in first class and routes, will be busy, increasing the likelihood of an overbooked economy cabin. Alongside this, there is a higher likelihood you may be asked to move seats to accommodate a family with young children again providing an opportunity to be given or ask for an upgrade.
5. Dress smart:- While dressing in your finest clothes is no guarantee of an upgrade, a smart outfit will certainly enhance your chances of being chosen. Top paying customers will often be dressed sharper, and airlines will want to ensure anyone they bump to first-class looks the part. Don’t feel the need to dress in anything extravagant. However, just make sure you avoid items that are too casual like flip-flops and cargo shorts.
6. Ask politely:- Last but not least, one of the best tactics is simply to ask airlines if there is a chance for an upgrade. As long as you are polite, there is no reason why this can’t land you a free first-class ticket. This is especially worth trying if you’ve been inconvenienced in any way by the airline have been delayed, lost your baggage or missed a connection. Politely mention that an upgrade would be appreciated, if possible, and stress your loyalty to the airline.
Written by: Matthew Thomas
- Scenic Sailing in Sardinia
- Save on an adventure to Kinchega National Park
- Immerse Yourself in One Million Blooms at Floriade – Australia’s Biggest Celebration of Spring
- D-EDGE appoints Emilie Couton as new APAC Managing Director
- Four Seasons Hotel Kuala Lumpur Welcomes New General Manager Blaise Montandon
- TAA (Vic) bolsters advisory committee in lead up to intended merger
- TravelManagers’ ‘Peace of Mind’ Attracts High Calibre New Recruits
- IAPCO launches its new Job Board, bringing together recruiters and job-seeking meeting professionals from the global meetings industry.
- K-Beauty Brand LAPCOS Just Dropped Three New Products
- Continued Investment In Tech Infrastructure Reaffirms Commitment To Innovation