Today, a keel-laying ceremony for the first LNG-powered ship of the industry-defining Oasis Class took place at the Chantiers de lAtlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France. The event celebrated the official start of Utopia’s physical construction ahead of the ship’s bold introduction in spring 2024.
The keel laying for Utopia of the Seas represents the first milestone of an incredible ship and the next step toward a bolder, thrilling future for Royal Caribbean and vacations, said Michael Bayley, president and CEO, of Royal Caribbean International.
Utopias’ debut in 2024, on the heels of Icon of the Seas setting sail in fall 2023, will build on a new, exciting chapter that is set to redefine family vacations and getaways for all ages in ways well soon reveal. At the ceremony, the working teams constructing Utopia watched as newly minted coins were placed on the ship’s first 948-ton steel block.
The longstanding maritime tradition calls for coins, representing Royal Caribbean and Chantiers de lAtlantique, to bring luck during the construction process and while the ship is at sea. Today, we are celebrating with Royal Caribbean International an important tradition and milestone for Utopia of the Seas said Laurent Castaing, General Manager of Chantiers de lAtlantique.
The construction of Utopia is an exciting opportunity for the Chantiers de lAtlantique teams that are aiming to make this cruise ship one of the most environmentally friendly ships in the world equipped with new generation dual-fuel engines.
As the second Royal Caribbean ship that will be powered by liquefied natural gas LNG, Utopia will also advance Royal Caribbean’s decades-long commitment to the environment.
Written by: Jill Walsh
- Scenic Sailing in Sardinia
- Save on an adventure to Kinchega National Park
- Immerse Yourself in One Million Blooms at Floriade – Australia’s Biggest Celebration of Spring
- D-EDGE appoints Emilie Couton as new APAC Managing Director
- Four Seasons Hotel Kuala Lumpur Welcomes New General Manager Blaise Montandon
- TAA (Vic) bolsters advisory committee in lead up to intended merger
- TravelManagers’ ‘Peace of Mind’ Attracts High Calibre New Recruits
- IAPCO launches its new Job Board, bringing together recruiters and job-seeking meeting professionals from the global meetings industry.
- K-Beauty Brand LAPCOS Just Dropped Three New Products
- Continued Investment In Tech Infrastructure Reaffirms Commitment To Innovation