High-performance coaching is founded on consistent, regular, meaningful feedback.
Whether we’re talking about professional athletes or the corporate world, leadership is a privilege and great leaders should be like high-performance coaches. But have you received meaningful performance feedback lately?
Are you seeking it or are you scared about what might hear if you do We are living in a performance feedback crisis? It was hard to get good feedback prior to the pandemic – I recently asked 50 leaders how they knew they were doing a good job and time and time again I heard the same response.
85 of the leaders shared, I am still here, so I must be But just because your leader hasn’t given you any feedback does not mean you are doing a good job. Your performance might just be passable enough that you are not on their radar.
You could be brilliant but then you might get the odd good job coming your way. Or your performance could be really crap and your leader cannot work out how to bring the subject up.
The pandemic and the great resignation, or the great shift to a new employer is making it even harder to get good feedback because the perception is that any critique no matter how healthy could result in an employee looking for a new job.
This short-term desire to retain talent by avoiding sometimes challenging conversations comes with a long-term cost regular, constructive feedback is a tool to support professional development and enhance corporate performance.
A coach can’t sit on the sidelines and defer the quarter-time chat because they don’t want to upset their players. Players will plateau and even stagnate if they don’t know where they need to improve. It’s no different for you and your company leaders.
In our feedback crisis, performance feedback is rare, vague useless.
Written by: Matthew Thomas
- 137 Pillars Hotels First Anniversary of CSR Partnership with Nature Park
- W Hotels Ushers in a New Era of Luxury Lifestyle on the Greek Coast with the Opening of W Costa Navarino
- Tourism Leader Rolls Up His Sleeves To Help With Staff Shortage
- St. Regis Hotels & Resorts Unveils Champagne Sabrage Masterclasses
- Mossman Gorge Centre Celebrates 10 Years
- Big Red Group appoints Jemma Fastnedge as Chief Sustainability Officer, bringing ESG to the centre of experience economy growth
- Silversea® Strengthens Its Industry-Leading Expedition Team, Welcoming Bob Simpson As Vp Of Expedition Product Development
- Music specialist TMC Equinox Travel appoints Trevor Johnson as COO
- “Made in Vietnam”: Wink Hotels Weaves Local Travel Memories
- Muster provides invaluable work experience