With this year marking the 80th anniversary of many significant Pacific War battles, Mat McLachlan Battlefield Tours has launched a special Anzac Day at Hellfire Pass (Thailand) tour for April 2023.
Historian and founder of Mat McLachlan Battlefield Tours, Mat McLachlan said: “This tour has been designed to follow in the footsteps of the thousands of Anzac and Allied troops captured as prisoners of war (POW) by the Japanese from 1942 to 1945 and put to relentless labour building the Thai-Burma railway.
“About 60,000 Allied POWs worked day and night alongside some 200,000 Asian labourers, using hand tools and muscle power to cut through rugged jungle and hills of rock to build a 420-kilometre railway track. Over a third of Australian soldiers taken prisoner by the Japanese died in captivity.
“Hellfire Pass is a dramatic 75-metre cutting through rock on the Thai-Burma railway excavated by POWs which has come to symbolise the harsh experience of captured Anzac and Allied soldiers during the Pacific War. Commemorating Anzac Day at the Dawn Service at Hellfire Pass is an incredibly moving experience, and we are honoured to provide the opportunity for Australians to honour those who served on this very special tour.”
Mat McLachlan Battlefield Tours’ new 7-day Anzac Day at Hellfire Pass tour departs Bangkok on 21 April 2023 and will be led by an expert Historian. The itinerary has been designed by Mat McLachlan to include key WW2 sites and unique experiences, including the ‘Bridge on the River Kwai’, key Australian and Allied forces POW camp locations, a train ride on the prisoner-of-war built railway crossing the Wang Pho viaduct, the new Wat Wangwiwekaram and the Mon Bride, Three Pagodas Pass where the railway crossed the border from Thailand to Burma, the Thai-Burma Railway Centre and Memorial Museum, Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, Hellfire Pass and more.
ANZAC DAY AT HELLFIRE PASS
DEPARTS: 21 April 2023 from Bangkok, Thailand
PRICE: $2499pp twin share
All tour prices listed are per person, twin share. Single supplements apply. All bookings require a 30% deposit and are subject to Terms & Conditions.
For more information, to view detailed tour itineraries and to book visit www.battlefields.com.au, or contact our team by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online Slot Machine Strategies – How to Beat them
- The best smartphone games to play while on vacation
- Work and play: how to safely work on your vacation
- World of Hyatt Bonus Journeys is Back with Two Ways to Earn
- Jetstar and Indigo partnership goes live
- American Airlines Announces Agreement to Purchase Boom Supersonic Overture Aircraft, Places Deposit on 20 Overtures
- New series reveals Sydney has all the ingredients for the ultimate holiday
- Centara appoints experienced Centara hotel manager for the group’s first address in Bangkok’s historic district
- ‘Cowra’s Canola Tours and Blooming Attractions’
- Da Vittorio Launch at Reverie Saigon Redefines Italian Fine Dining in Vietnam