U.S. hotel gross operating profit per available room (GOPPAR) exceeded the pre-pandemic comparable for a second consecutive month, according to STR‘s April 2022 P&L data release. The GOPPAR, TrevPAR and EBITDA PAR levels were the highest for the country since November 2019.
- GOPPAR: US$90.96
- TRevPAR: US$218.40
- EBITDA PAR: US$68.37
- LPAR (Labor Costs): US$64.22
“As the top-line metrics continue to progress toward full recovery, it is no surprise that the bottom-line metrics are coming in better than pre-pandemic times,” said Raquel Ortiz, STR’s director of financial performance. “GOPPAR and GOP margins continue to show incremental improvements month over month, with the GOP margin (41.6%) at its third-highest level on record and the highest since November 2018. F&B profits were up slightly from April 2019, mostly due to lower group demand lowering the cost of spend on F&B as well as the influences of inflation. Labor costs, on the other hand, remain slightly under the 2019 comparable due to lower employment levels and less available amenities.”
Nine of the major markets realized GOPPAR and TrevPAR levels higher than 2019 comparables.
“Miami continues to lead in both GOPPAR and TrevPAR recovery, hitting 178% of 2019 GOPPAR. On the other hand, San Francisco and Minneapolis remain near the bottom in both metrics. The GOPPAR level for the Top 25 Markets combined was the highest of the pandemic and only $12 less than April 2019,” Ortiz said.
Industry stakeholders interested in Monthly P&L participation should contact MonthlyPnL@STR.com. Those interested in subscribing to reports should contact their account manager or info@STR.com.
Key profitability metrics:
TRevPAR – Total revenue per available room
GOPPAR – Gross operating profit per available room
EBITDA – Earnings before interest, income tax, depreciation, and amortization
LPAR – Total labor costs per available room
- Scenic Sailing in Sardinia
- Save on an adventure to Kinchega National Park
- Immerse Yourself in One Million Blooms at Floriade – Australia’s Biggest Celebration of Spring
- D-EDGE appoints Emilie Couton as new APAC Managing Director
- Four Seasons Hotel Kuala Lumpur Welcomes New General Manager Blaise Montandon
- TAA (Vic) bolsters advisory committee in lead up to intended merger
- TravelManagers’ ‘Peace of Mind’ Attracts High Calibre New Recruits
- IAPCO launches its new Job Board, bringing together recruiters and job-seeking meeting professionals from the global meetings industry.
- K-Beauty Brand LAPCOS Just Dropped Three New Products
- Continued Investment In Tech Infrastructure Reaffirms Commitment To Innovation