Among dozens of minority groups in southwestern China’s Guizhou province, the Dong ethnic group is widely known for its tradition of passing on culture and knowledge in music, especially in “dage,” or Grand Song in Chinese.
As a group art form, Grand Songs are performed formally in the drum-tower, a landmark venue for rituals, entertainment and meetings in a Dong village. Most of the choir are women aged from teens to elders.
Narrating history, daily life and romance stories of the Dong ethnic group, Grand Song performances have become an attraction for tourists visiting Dong villages. The art form remains a crucial symbol of Dong ethnic identify and cultural heritage.
The Dong ethnic group has around 3 million population in China, most of whom more traditional Dong live in eastern Guizhou. The Dong people attach great importance to preserving their traditions and remembering their origins. Songs are believed by them to be a good way to appreciate their origins.
To observe and experience this tradition in person, American vlogger Brenna and her family visited a Dong village in southeastern Guizhou. The family learned to sing the Grand Song with a local choir and joined their performance. They also experienced other local folk arts such as printing and dyeing.
Video – https://youtu.be/097ltk0NfKU
- 137 Pillars Hotels First Anniversary of CSR Partnership with Nature Park
- W Hotels Ushers in a New Era of Luxury Lifestyle on the Greek Coast with the Opening of W Costa Navarino
- Tourism Leader Rolls Up His Sleeves To Help With Staff Shortage
- St. Regis Hotels & Resorts Unveils Champagne Sabrage Masterclasses
- Mossman Gorge Centre Celebrates 10 Years
- Big Red Group appoints Jemma Fastnedge as Chief Sustainability Officer, bringing ESG to the centre of experience economy growth
- Silversea® Strengthens Its Industry-Leading Expedition Team, Welcoming Bob Simpson As Vp Of Expedition Product Development
- Music specialist TMC Equinox Travel appoints Trevor Johnson as COO
- “Made in Vietnam”: Wink Hotels Weaves Local Travel Memories
- Muster provides invaluable work experience