Scenic Eclipse, The World’s First Discovery Yacht has continued to set the benchmark in ultra-luxury cruising by being the first to complete a submersible dive in South Georgia.
On 31 January, Scenic Eclipse’s submarine, Scenic Neptune, took guests on an underwater exploration in Stomness, South Georgia, with this milestone during the 21-day Antarctica & South Georgia voyage.
Scenic is the first operator to be granted permission to dive submersibles in this location after working closely with the authorities to increase knowledge and awareness of this unique eco-system.
Captain James Griffiths, Director of Marine Operations said, “We’ve been eagerly awaiting this historic moment since the application process began over two years ago”, adding, “After working closely with the authorities to gain permission, we’d like to thank them for placing their trust in us to operate these dives”.
He added, “Seeing our plans become a reality and being able to offer our guests this incredible experience unrivalled by any other cruise line is an incredible moment for our team”, and “As a brand we are committed to raising the bar, only two years ago we were the first operator to fly helicopters and partake in submarine dives in Antarctica”. adding, “Our team at Scenic has worked tirelessly to make this happen and we’re grateful for their continued dedication and passion that allows us to provide our guests with a truly unique and unforgettable experience.”
Jason Flesher, Expedition Operations Manager, who led the first dive said,“It was an extraordinary experience to be on board Scenic Neptune’s maiden submarine dive in South Georgia – and was a moment that both myself and our guests will remember for a lifetime”, adding, “To personally provide deep insights to our guests and witness a diversity of rich marine life, including bioluminescent jelly fish, Pelagic Antarctic Krill and a vast array of marine benthic fauna, was truly an honour”
These Scenic Neptune submarine excursions are available on the Antarctica, South Georgia and Falkland Islands 20-day voyages. With the 2022/23 voyages for this itinerary already fully sold, now is the time to book the newly released 2023/24 departures. Super Earlybird prices start from $32,020* per person, including saving of $7,085* per person.
After the current Antarctica season, Scenic Eclipse will sail from Rio de Janeiro to Lisbon to commence its inaugural Mediterranean season.
Edited by John Alwyn-Jones, Cruise Editor
- 137 Pillars Hotels First Anniversary of CSR Partnership with Nature Park
- W Hotels Ushers in a New Era of Luxury Lifestyle on the Greek Coast with the Opening of W Costa Navarino
- Tourism Leader Rolls Up His Sleeves To Help With Staff Shortage
- St. Regis Hotels & Resorts Unveils Champagne Sabrage Masterclasses
- Mossman Gorge Centre Celebrates 10 Years
- Big Red Group appoints Jemma Fastnedge as Chief Sustainability Officer, bringing ESG to the centre of experience economy growth
- Silversea® Strengthens Its Industry-Leading Expedition Team, Welcoming Bob Simpson As Vp Of Expedition Product Development
- Music specialist TMC Equinox Travel appoints Trevor Johnson as COO
- “Made in Vietnam”: Wink Hotels Weaves Local Travel Memories
- Muster provides invaluable work experience