New testing from CHOICE has revealed which vintage cheddar cheeses are worth paying a premium for.
CHOICE’s panel of expert judges have done the hard yards and taste tested 27 vintage cheddar cheeses available at supermarkets across Australia.
“Judges assessed each cheese on its flavour, aroma, texture and appearance. They looked for a cheese with a sweet, milky flavour, a good balance of salt and acid, a texture that’s firm, close and slightly crumbly, and a lingering aftertaste,” says CHOICE senior food journalist, Rachel Clemons.
“King Island Dairy Surprise Bay Cheddar scored first place with a rating of 73%,” says Clemons.
“The Surprise Bay Cheddar impressed our judges with its mildly sweet cheddar aroma, balanced flavour, and good, firm texture,” says Clemons.
Coles Australian Vintage Cheddar also scored a place in the top six.
“The Coles Australian Vintage Cheddar did very well in our taste testing, receiving a score of 70%. It’s also cheaper than a lot of the other cheeses we tested, at $1.60 per 100g,” says Clemons.
- 137 Pillars Hotels First Anniversary of CSR Partnership with Nature Park
- W Hotels Ushers in a New Era of Luxury Lifestyle on the Greek Coast with the Opening of W Costa Navarino
- Tourism Leader Rolls Up His Sleeves To Help With Staff Shortage
- St. Regis Hotels & Resorts Unveils Champagne Sabrage Masterclasses
- Mossman Gorge Centre Celebrates 10 Years
- Big Red Group appoints Jemma Fastnedge as Chief Sustainability Officer, bringing ESG to the centre of experience economy growth
- Silversea® Strengthens Its Industry-Leading Expedition Team, Welcoming Bob Simpson As Vp Of Expedition Product Development
- Music specialist TMC Equinox Travel appoints Trevor Johnson as COO
- “Made in Vietnam”: Wink Hotels Weaves Local Travel Memories
- Muster provides invaluable work experience