An exuberant, inflatable reef will be swaying away at Port Douglas Carnivale.
The giant multi-coloured pop art installation Microcosm is inspired by coral and other reef life.
It was created by artists Matthew Aberline and Maurice Goldberg of the Sydney’s celebrated Goldberg Aberline Studio.
This piece of modern art will have prime position across a number of Port Douglas locations from May 23-26.
Microcosm is a tiny slice of reef life blown up out of proportion to engage and amuse passers-by, sending out positive vibes and inspiring joy.
It looks like a crazy reef from afar but close up it is a mash-up of rainbow coloured shapes and forms, handmade out of material.
The material is painted, specially hardened, made into shapes and then inflated to create the photogenic masterpiece.
Goldberg Aberline Studio is well known for its joyous public art works and the creators have said their large-scale works are “deliberately positive”.
“We try to use colour and scale in a way that is really fun and playful. We try to imbue our work with a sense of awe and wonder to inspire people in a positive way,” said Aberline.
Douglas Shire Mayor Julia Leu said Microcosm was an amazing colourful construction to have in Port Douglas during Carnivale.
“It is a bright, boisterous over-the-top imaginative piece of art that was inspired by the type of environment where we live. It will put a smile on everyone’s face.
“I’m sure it will be one of the most photographed attractions at Carnivale and it fits in perfectly with effervescent, friendly atmosphere of this event.”
Look for it here:
Wednesday, May 22 – Peppers Beach Club
Thursday, May 23 – Rex Smeal Park
Friday, May 24 – Macrossan Street
Saturday, May 25 – Four Mile Beach
Sunday, May 26 – Crystalbrook Superyacht Marina
- 137 Pillars Hotels First Anniversary of CSR Partnership with Nature Park
- W Hotels Ushers in a New Era of Luxury Lifestyle on the Greek Coast with the Opening of W Costa Navarino
- Tourism Leader Rolls Up His Sleeves To Help With Staff Shortage
- St. Regis Hotels & Resorts Unveils Champagne Sabrage Masterclasses
- Mossman Gorge Centre Celebrates 10 Years
- Big Red Group appoints Jemma Fastnedge as Chief Sustainability Officer, bringing ESG to the centre of experience economy growth
- Silversea® Strengthens Its Industry-Leading Expedition Team, Welcoming Bob Simpson As Vp Of Expedition Product Development
- Music specialist TMC Equinox Travel appoints Trevor Johnson as COO
- “Made in Vietnam”: Wink Hotels Weaves Local Travel Memories
- Muster provides invaluable work experience