The Australian String Quartet (ASQ) welcomes the return of its cellist Sharon Grigoryan who has been on parental leave after the birth of her and husband Slava Grigoryan’s first child. Together, the ASQ is set to embark on a national tour, performing a stirring program of Beethoven and Brahms and a world-premiere season of young Australian composer Kate Moore’s new work Cicadidae, commissioned by the Australian String Quartet in honour of its patron, Maria Myers AC.
Kate Moore, who now resides and works in Amsterdam, wrote the piece as an homage to the driving, rhythmic song of the Cicada, and a poetic statement about the risks that climate change pose on such ubiquitous Australian fauna.
“When remembering the Australian landscape, the sound of cicadas fills the mind. Their presence is felt through their song. Invisible to the eye, the music they make overwhelmingly floods the air on a summer afternoon.” composer Kate Moore.
Moore’s work, commissioned in recognition of the ASQ’s Patron Maria Myers AC, is particularly pertinent because of the strong connection Myers, a prominent philanthropist and advocate of Australian culture and the environment herself, has with the country.
“We must champion and commission Australian art. Through their work, Australian artists reflect our society and our values, bringing their own perspective – helping us to understand, and enriching our own experiences of life” ASQ Patron Maria Myers AC
For the past 12 months the ASQ has performed with an array of guest cellists while Sharon Grigoryan has been on parental leave. ASQ musicians Dale Barltrop and Francesca Hiew (violin) and Stephen King (viola) are thrilled to be once again performing with Grigoryan after this break.
“We cannot thank enough, all of the guest cellists who have joined us in Sharon’s absence; it has truly been an honour. We are so thrilled to have Sharon back with us on our exploration of life through music” Stephen King, viola.
The Australian String Quartet performs Moore Beethoven Brahms around Australia in May and June.
Kate Moore Cicadidae* (Premiere Season)
Beethoven String Quartet op 18 no 4
Brahms String Quartet op 51 no 1
*Commissioned by the Australian String Quartet through the ASQ Richard Divall Australian Music Fund.
- 137 Pillars Hotels First Anniversary of CSR Partnership with Nature Park
- W Hotels Ushers in a New Era of Luxury Lifestyle on the Greek Coast with the Opening of W Costa Navarino
- Tourism Leader Rolls Up His Sleeves To Help With Staff Shortage
- St. Regis Hotels & Resorts Unveils Champagne Sabrage Masterclasses
- Mossman Gorge Centre Celebrates 10 Years
- Big Red Group appoints Jemma Fastnedge as Chief Sustainability Officer, bringing ESG to the centre of experience economy growth
- Silversea® Strengthens Its Industry-Leading Expedition Team, Welcoming Bob Simpson As Vp Of Expedition Product Development
- Music specialist TMC Equinox Travel appoints Trevor Johnson as COO
- “Made in Vietnam”: Wink Hotels Weaves Local Travel Memories
- Muster provides invaluable work experience