Chiva-Som International Health Resort has been awarded the Best Sustainable Travel and Tourism Initiative – Coast, Coastal Business/Operation at the inaugural Travel & Tourism Sustainability Awards presented by Travel Daily at a ceremony held at Primus Hotel on 30 April.
Believing that personal wellness goes hand-in-hand with environmental wellness, Chiva-Som has long maintained a strong commitment to developing and upholding sustainable initiatives aimed at protecting the environment and giving back to the local community.
Chiva-Som has been the environmental preservation steward of the last remaining mangrove forest in Hua Hin, Thailand since 2007. Over 5,000 trees have been planted to reforest the Krailart Niwate mangrove and Chiva-Som funded the construction of a 1,000 meter elevated boardwalk throughout the forest to raise awareness on the importance of mangrove ecosystems and promote eco-spiritual tourism in the region.
The resort employs a holistic approach to sustainability with a range of initiatives such as resource recovery practices where waste water is collected and treated onsite. This water is then reused for landscape irrigation and maintaining resort lake levels.
Plastic, glass, metal, wood and paper go to a recycling facility, while perishable food items are distributed to local livestock farmers for animal feed. Plant waste from garden maintenance is converted into nutrient-rich compost for use at Chiva-Som’s two IFOAM-accredited organic farms.
Energy efficiency, conservation and management are also part of Chiva-Som’s collective mission. The resort decreases usage and dependency on non-renewable fossil fuels and electricity through energy-saving technologies and practices.
With a focus on nurturing the local community, Chiva-Som supports social welfare programmes, hiring local staff and, whenever possible, purchasing local fresh food, products and services. The resort has thrown its support behind Preserve Hua Hin Group with all proceeds generated from sponsored events going to funding environmental awareness, education and preservation activities.
From 1 May – 31 October 2019, Chiva-Som will be closed for completion of its extensive refurbishment program.
- Scenic Sailing in Sardinia
- Save on an adventure to Kinchega National Park
- Immerse Yourself in One Million Blooms at Floriade – Australia’s Biggest Celebration of Spring
- D-EDGE appoints Emilie Couton as new APAC Managing Director
- Four Seasons Hotel Kuala Lumpur Welcomes New General Manager Blaise Montandon
- TAA (Vic) bolsters advisory committee in lead up to intended merger
- TravelManagers’ ‘Peace of Mind’ Attracts High Calibre New Recruits
- IAPCO launches its new Job Board, bringing together recruiters and job-seeking meeting professionals from the global meetings industry.
- K-Beauty Brand LAPCOS Just Dropped Three New Products
- Continued Investment In Tech Infrastructure Reaffirms Commitment To Innovation