The Via Francigena or The ‘Road to Rome’ is an ancient pilgrimage to the historic city of Rome in Italy. Dating back to the middle ages, this epic trail begins in Canterbury and travels through four countries. This is one for history lovers and nature fanatics alike.
WALKING IN TUSCANY
Tuscany is one of the most popular sections of the Via Francigena, and for good reason. This route begins in the walled city of Lucca and traverses rolling hills and peaceful countryside on the way to historic Siena. The towns along this trail are a must-see. Former Roman strongholds like Monteriggioni sit on hilltops for protection and the character of the architecture is completely unique. Don’t forget about Italian food, the cuisine here is famous worldwide.
Price: from €715
More details: Via Francigena in Tuscany
VIA FRANCIGENA ACROSS THE ALPS
This amazing 151km walk is all about the views. You begin along the shore of Lake Geneva, Chateau de Chillon and the UNESCO-listed vineyards of Lavaux; then as you climb up to the Alps and the Great St Bernard’s Pass and finally as you head into Italy and the Aosta Valley. Breathtaking alpine views await as you cross the St. Bernard’s Pass. It should be noted that this walk is for experienced hikers only.
Duration: Up to 9 Nights
Price: from €1015
More Details: Via Francigena across the Alps
CYCLING IN ITALY
If you spend 23 nights on two wheels, you will see everything the Via Francigena has to offer. The great thing about cycling is that you get to see twice as much in the same time frame. The route includes stops in Siena, with its stunning UNESCO World Heritage historic centre and Rome, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Tailor your tour for one week in Tuscany, the road into Rome and more.
Duration: 7 – 23 Nights
Price: from €690
More Details: Cycling in Italy
For more information on any of our Via Francigena walking or cycling trips, please contact the travel specialists.
The Via Francigena will feature on the documentary ‘Pilgrimage: The Road to Rome’ on BBC this on Friday 5th of April 2019.
**Francigenaways.com is part of the Greenlife Tours family, along with Caminoways.com and Irelandways.com
- Online Slot Machine Strategies – How to Beat them
- The best smartphone games to play while on vacation
- Work and play: how to safely work on your vacation
- World of Hyatt Bonus Journeys is Back with Two Ways to Earn
- Jetstar and Indigo partnership goes live
- American Airlines Announces Agreement to Purchase Boom Supersonic Overture Aircraft, Places Deposit on 20 Overtures
- New series reveals Sydney has all the ingredients for the ultimate holiday
- Centara appoints experienced Centara hotel manager for the group’s first address in Bangkok’s historic district
- ‘Cowra’s Canola Tours and Blooming Attractions’
- Da Vittorio Launch at Reverie Saigon Redefines Italian Fine Dining in Vietnam