It’s the last chance of the year to explore one of Macarthur’s oldest mansions. On Sunday, November 4, 2018, Wivenhoe Historic house will allow visitors to step back in time to the colonial era when horse and carriages, baking your own bread, milking the cows and sowing the fields were part of your everyday life.
Surrounded by the storied fields of the Macarthur region, first settled in the early 1800s, Wivenhoe was built in 1837 by five-time NSW Premier, Sir Charles Cowper, and named after the English home town his wife, Eliza, left behind when she sailed to her new home in Australia. The Cowpers lived at Wivenhoe for 30 years before moving to London where Sir Charles worked as NSW Agent-General.
The 19th century Mediterranean-style mansion and its surrounds are believed to have been designed by architect John Verge who also designed local landmarks such as Camden Park, home of the Macarthur family, and Elizabeth Bay House in Sydney. During their time living there, the Cowpers planted a vineyard, one of the oldest in the colony, and the region is still known for its wineries today. The Wivenhoe Wine cellars extend under the whole of the main building. Featuring, thick, strong walls, the three-metre-high cellars are still used today to store wine.
Guided tours of the house will include a look at period photos and artefacts that will help visitors reimagine a bygone era.
When: Sunday, November 4, 2018
Where: Wivenhoe, 229 Macquarie Grove Road, Camden in the Macarthur region.
Cost: $5 per person. For more information call 4655 7057 or visit www.macarthur.com.au
- 137 Pillars Hotels First Anniversary of CSR Partnership with Nature Park
- W Hotels Ushers in a New Era of Luxury Lifestyle on the Greek Coast with the Opening of W Costa Navarino
- Tourism Leader Rolls Up His Sleeves To Help With Staff Shortage
- St. Regis Hotels & Resorts Unveils Champagne Sabrage Masterclasses
- Mossman Gorge Centre Celebrates 10 Years
- Big Red Group appoints Jemma Fastnedge as Chief Sustainability Officer, bringing ESG to the centre of experience economy growth
- Silversea® Strengthens Its Industry-Leading Expedition Team, Welcoming Bob Simpson As Vp Of Expedition Product Development
- Music specialist TMC Equinox Travel appoints Trevor Johnson as COO
- “Made in Vietnam”: Wink Hotels Weaves Local Travel Memories
- Muster provides invaluable work experience