The golden age of railroads may be in the past, but train travel is experiencing a 21st-century renaissance. High-speed rails and new long-distance routes have put trains back on the map, and rail journeys back onto travel bucket lists.
Lonely Planet’s new book Amazing Train Journeys (published this month, AU$39.99) spotlights 60 of the world’s greatest, most memorable routes, as selected by its train-loving travel experts. Each trip featured includes a summary, ticket and distance information, tips, highlights, photos, an illustrated map and a timeline of stops.
“Here at Lonely Planet, we have always had a soft spot for trains,” Editorial Director Tom Hall writes in his introduction to the book. “We’re excited to bring our passion to the pages of Amazing Train Journeys. Whether you prefer high-speed or deliberately go-slow, we hope readers will be inspired to get out on the rails again.”
From epic international routes to commuter lines to classic heritage railroad tracks, Amazing Train Journeys takes readers through mountain peaks, scenic countryside and past dramatic coastlines, beautifully illustrating the advantages and freedom unique to traveling by rail.
Australia is represented in the book by four rail trips: The Ghan, South Coast Line, West Coast Wilderness Railway and Kuranda Scenic Railway.
Other top routes showcased in the book include:
- Johannesburg to Cape Town, South Africa
- The Sunset Limited, USA
- The Darjeeling Toy Train, India
- Settle to Carlisle, UK
- The TranzAlpine, New Zealand
Amazing Train Journeys by Lonely Planet
Foreword by Mark Smith (The Man in Seat 61)
Published October 2018 | AU$39.99 | 1st Edition
240mm x 185mm | 304 pages | Hardback | ISBN: 978-1787014305
- Scenic Sailing in Sardinia
- Save on an adventure to Kinchega National Park
- Immerse Yourself in One Million Blooms at Floriade – Australia’s Biggest Celebration of Spring
- D-EDGE appoints Emilie Couton as new APAC Managing Director
- Four Seasons Hotel Kuala Lumpur Welcomes New General Manager Blaise Montandon
- TAA (Vic) bolsters advisory committee in lead up to intended merger
- TravelManagers’ ‘Peace of Mind’ Attracts High Calibre New Recruits
- IAPCO launches its new Job Board, bringing together recruiters and job-seeking meeting professionals from the global meetings industry.
- K-Beauty Brand LAPCOS Just Dropped Three New Products
- Continued Investment In Tech Infrastructure Reaffirms Commitment To Innovation